Your wrist joints, even though small, play a significant part in helping you go through daily motions. They bear the brunt of many activities, such as typing on a computer, washing dishes, and playing sports. You may experience pain and difficulty using your wrists when something goes wrong. This is when a wrist surgeon specializing in wrist surgery can make a huge difference in your life.
A skilled wrist surgeon can:
1. Diagnose the Issue Accurately
Your wrist surgeon is trained and experienced in diagnosing different issues that could be causing your wrist pain.
They combine their expertise with various diagnostic tests, such as X-rays and MRIs, to pinpoint the exact source of your discomfort.
Wrist surgeons often work with:
- Arthritis – the gradual wearing away of cartilage
- Carpal tunnel syndrome – pinched nerves in the wrists and hands
- Fractures and dislocations – breaks and misalignment of the bones
- Tendonitis – inflammation from overuse
2. Offer Appropriate Treatment Options
Your wrist surgeon can recommend suitable treatment options once they know the cause of your discomfort. Some treatments may include:
- Physical therapy – exercises, massage, and the use of other therapeutic modalities to reduce pain and restore mobility
- Immobilization – splitting or casting to immobilize the affected wrist joint
- Medication – anti-inflammatory or pain relief drugs to manage symptoms and reduce inflammation
- Corticosteroid injections – to reduce swelling
- Surgery – surgical options may be considered if conservative treatments are not enough
3. Facilitate Long-Term Care
Your wrist surgeon will also recommend lifestyle modifications to help you avoid further injuries. They may suggest:
- Using ergonomic tools – using wrist splints and adjustable keyboards to keep the hands in a better position
- Avoiding repetitive motions – taking frequent breaks and using different tools for repetitive tasks
- Improving strength – exercises to build muscle around the wrist joints
4. Promote Future Injury Prevention
Your wrist surgeon can provide advice and tips on preventing future injuries. They may recommend:
- Warming up before activities – stretching before any strenuous activities
- Using correct form – proper technique when lifting or exercising
- Wearing protective gear – such as wrist guards when playing sports
Making minor lifestyle changes – such as eating a balanced diet, getting enough sleep, and drinking lots of water to promote overall health
5. Promote Patient Education
Your wrist surgeon can:
- Help you understand more about your condition
- Explain the treatment options available
- Answer any questions you have
They will also provide comprehensive education about the condition and how to manage it. This allows you to manage your wrist health better.
6. Help Improve Your Quality of Life
Your wrists, no matter how seemingly small, affect how you live your daily life. With the help of a skilled wrist surgeon, you can reduce discomfort and improve your quality of life.
They can help you return to activities that bring you joy, such as swimming, hiking, and playing sports.
Your wrist surgeon can also help you care for your wrists long-term so that you can enjoy a healthy life.
7. Help Improve Your Physical Performance
Your wrist surgeon can help you optimize your physical performance. An experienced orthopedic surgeon can work with you on ways to improve your wrist strength and flexibility.
This can help you perform better in any given activity, whether it be sports or simply doing everyday tasks with ease.
They can help you by:
- Prescribing specific exercises to strengthen your wrists
- Providing guidance on the use of proper form when lifting weights or participating in sports
- Teaching you how to stretch and warm up properly
When to Visit Your Wrist Surgeon
It is best to visit an orthopedic surgeon specializing in wrist surgery if you experience persistent or recurring wrist pain.
Depending on your needs, they will help pinpoint the cause of your discomfort and recommend nonsurgical or surgical treatments.
You may also want to visit your wrist surgeon if:
- You have suffered a wrist injury
- You need to find an ergonomic solution for your pain
- Do you want to improve your physical performance in sports or other activities
- Your pain does not improve with rest and over-the-counter medication
- Your pain prevents you from performing daily activities
The Best Wrist Surgeon Near You in Plantation & Miami Lakes, FL
Looking for the best wrist surgeon near you in Plantation and Miami Lakes? Dr. Tosca Kinchelow at The Orthopaedic Hand and Arm Center has the focused training needed to produce successful outcomes from hand and wrist surgery. Dr. Kinchelowcan performs state-of-the-art procedures and uses a range of non-surgical treatments for hand and wrist injuries and conditions. She is affiliated with the reputable Memorial Hospital West and Memorial Regional Hospital South.
We look forward to helping your care best for your wrists!